Just got home from the drugstore. Coverage for my medications under the new Anthem-Blue Cross EPO plan that I was basically FORCED into by LLNS when they canceled Health Net is way, way down. I have to pay $35 for each medication, when under Health Net, I had to pay $10 or at the most $20. (Plus, they wouldn't even cover two of my medications without special justification from my doctor.....they wanted me to pay $389 for one of them and $125 for the other.)
This is despite the fact that my own contribution to the Anthem-Blue Cross EPO Health Plan (given my years of service to UC) WENT UP FROM $240/month for better coverage under Health Net TO MORE THAN $380/month (almost a 60% increase). And office co-pays went from $15 to $20. Less and less coverage for more and more money. Thanks DOE. Thanks UC. Thanks LLNS. Thanks George Miller.
Don't want to hear how LLNS is doing us such a great favor because "medical benefits are not guaranteed." The FACT is that UC retirees from non-LLNL/non-LANL campuses (including LBNL, Berkeley, Santa Barbara, UCLA, Davis, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Cruz, Irvine, and probably UC Merced, if there are any) still have more choices in plans (like our old Health Net), pay lower premiums, and have better benefits. I feel like a second-class UC citizen. Why are we being treated so differently than UC retirees from the other campuses?
I was SOLD on the idea when I came to work at LLNL and throughout my career, on a UC RETIREMENT (and all benefits thereby included, those guaranteed or not). NOT a DOE RETIREMENT. NOT a LLNS RETIREMENT. I understood that health benefits for retirees were not guaranteed. BUT, nobody even said that UC/LLNL retirement benefits would be anything less or even different from OTHER UC campuses.
It doesn't seem right or fair. Maybe it's legal, but it ought to be investigated. Seems like the stuff class-action lawsuits are made of.
Any opinions out there?
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
- ► 2014 (198)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- TCP contributions on the horizon
- Site 300 question
- Ex_bechtel janitor pleads guilty!
- SPSE Poll
- Laboratory integrates its communications with the ...
- Nearly 2,000 people warned of possible beryllium e...
- Battelle's world: Columbus-based research giant ex...
- The 10 year plan
- Here is the truth: no more nuc stuff at LLNL
- More layoffs?
- What could be improved at LLNL?
- What would you do?
- George Bush, the stalwart of nuclear non-prolifera...
- LLNL/UC Retiree Non-Medicare Medical Insurance Deb...
- What do you like about working at LLNL?
- U.S. EPA says cleanup must resume at nuclear weapo...
- Time to pull together
- More U.S. companies cut matching retirement funds ...
- Subject: Happy New Year 2009!
- Change we need...
- ▼ January (20)
- ► 2008 (374)