One of the rays of hope I saw in this privatization was the fall of the good ol' boys' culture and seeing the Lab run like a real private company.
This culture is seen in the up hill battle to consolidate services and insfrastructure due to lack of cooperation. Publicly, there is lip service on the merits of consolidation. Privately, many divisions and groups run like companies within the company, looking out for themselves and not LLNL's benefit.
The culture is seen in the egotistic attitude of "we are smarter than the other groups and departments". COMP for example has an incredible prefrence for COMP people when hiring, regardless of qualifications. Just count how many EBAs were shoved in jobs they had no interest in last year while they were plenty of qualified people from other directorates.
I had a manager tell me once about another manager, when I offered a way to resolve an issue for the other Manager:"Let her worry about climbing her own hill".
It is going to be 2 years now and it has not changed much. Will it change?
Will we become a real company where the interest of the institution comes first?
You probably see this culture under many other faces. Would you care to share?
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
- ► 2017 (337)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- Age discrimination lawsuit
- Kiss your retirement good bye!
- One year after the layoff...
- NIF dedication theme song
- Good old boys' culture still alive and well
- Wake up everybody!
- When will managers be promoted based on competency...
- New Security?
- Lab Morale Hits Bottom
- Expired Hand Sanitizer!
- Lab Make Over
- Would you recommend LLNL as an employer now?
- Yet more training.
- The proposed LLNL 2010 budget is down 7 million
- A post on the LANL blog
- NIF is dumping people
- Complete the UPTE-CWA health and safety survey tod...
- "US unemployment rate" chart looks parabolic
- I received from LLNS my TCP1 (Defined Benefit Pens...
- Is the Energy Department Ready to Reboot the Count...
- Kaiser co payment now double or triple!
- ▼ May (21)
- ► 2008 (374)