Democratic senator challenges energy chief on Yucca Mountain decision Washington senator vents to DOE chief
Is Dr. Chu just another politician?
At a Senate hearing, Chu got his latest earful from Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash. She demanded to know "who was consulted in making the decision that Yucca Mountain was not viable.
You say that Yucca Mountain is not a workable option, but what seems to be missing is why," she told Chu, asking him repeatedly what science was used to back up the Obama administration's decision to end plans for the underground waste repository.
Murray said billions of dollars have been spent at the Hanford nuclear reservation in her state to clean up and begin packaging liquid nuclear waste for eventual disposal at the proposed Yucca site, but no consideration was given to residents there and other places where highly radioactive waste awaits removal.
"This is really disturbing to me," Murray said. "This leaves everybody just in complete limbo after 30 years of working on this.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Saturday, March 6, 2010
- ► 2017 (193)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- New START seen permitting extra warhead deploymen...
- NNSA merging contracts
- Nuclear Labs Raise Doubts Over Viability of Arsena...
- View on 200 re-classification
- Opinion on blog moderation
- LANL TCP1
- Debate Heats Up Over Conventional, Nuclear Deterre...
- Trial of LLNS begins!
- Poll results
- Prove you have dependents
- Cost to Test U.S. Global-Strike Missile Could Reac...
- Concerns Over the Recent NIF Media Blitz
- NNSA Weapons Chief Participates in ROTC Day at Law...
- Pentagon Eyes More Than $800 Million for New Nucle...
- Share your story
- Managers! How do you feel about LLNS?
- Democratic senator challenges energy chief on Yucc...
- U.S. Missile Defenses Enhanced to Deal With Growin...
- What happened to the "future" institutional data c...
- ▼ March (19)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)