This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Thursday, January 23, 2014
Size of Nuclear Arsenal Remains Stable
Weapons Complex Monitor January 22, 2014 Size of Nuclear Arsenal Remains Stable The size of the United States’ active nuclear arsenal has remained stable for the last year, according to a recent assessment published in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists that estimates about 4,650 nuclear warheads remain in the active stockpile of the U.S. Another 2,700 warheads are retired and awaiting dismantlement, meaning the U.S. has a total inventory of about 7,400 warheads, the assessment by Hans Kristensen and Robert Norris of the Federation of American Scientists says. The U.S. hasn’t publicly disclosed the size of its active nuclear stockpile since 2010, when it said it had 5,113 warheads. About 2,130 warheads are operational, according to the authors, including 1,620 strategic warheads that are fielded on ballistic missiles: 1,150 on submarine-launched ballistic missiles and 470 on intercontinental ballistic missiles. Another 300 strategic warheads are housed at bomber bases around the country, and approximately 200 tactical nuclear warheads are stationed in Europe. About 2,530 warheads are in storage and serve as a “hedge” against technical issues or geopolitical changes.
Posted by scooby at 5:55 PM
- ► 2017 (143)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- Thought on Knapp's All-Hands?
- The non-nuclear option for hard to reach targets
- What may have happened to Parney
- sexual harassment lawsuit
- Director search
- Budget news.
- Nuclear detection efforts inadequate
- Size of Nuclear Arsenal Remains Stable
- Cheating wide spread in Air Force nuclear forces
- 500 series
- Did management lie?
- EV Chargin
- Here's a very interesting reporthttp://www.nirsonl...
- Air Force Nuclear Scandal
- Why are articles regarding Nuclear Attack in Subur...
- Moses in Canada
- The city versus SNL
- Director search
- Opposition to B61 threatens nuclear reductions, de...
- Another damaging IG release on LANL
- Senate Returns Dozens of Nominations To President ...
- Nuclear Spending : $355 Billion over Next 10 Years...
- State of the Pension Plans?
- The threat of emerging military technologies
- NIF's 14 kJ shot is #1 at the lab! Yeah!
- ▼ January (30)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)