The cost of LANS managerial screw-ups with WIPP is quickly becoming yuuuuuge! It ranks among the costliest nuclear accidents in U.S. history according to the LA Times.
So much for 'saving money' by using a private, for-profit managerial contract for running LANL, huh, NNSA?
Nuclear accident in New Mexico ranks among the costliest in U.S. history
Los Angeles Times - Aug 22nd
When a drum containing radioactive waste blew up in an underground nuclear dump in New Mexico two years ago, the Energy Department rushed to quell concerns in the Carlsbad desert community and quickly reported progress on resuming operations.
The early federal statements gave no hint that the blast had caused massive long-term damage to the dump, a facility crucial to the nuclear weapons cleanup program that spans the nation, or that it would jeopardize the Energy Department’s credibility in dealing with the tricky problem of radioactive waste.
But the explosion ranks among the costliest nuclear accidents in U.S. history, according to a Times analysis. The long-term cost of the mishap could top $2 billion, an amount roughly in the range of the cleanup after the 1979 partial meltdown at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania.
The Feb. 14, 2014, accident is also complicating cleanup programs at about a dozen current and former nuclear weapons sites across the U.S. Thousands of tons of radioactive waste that were headed for the dump are backed up in Idaho, Washington, New Mexico and elsewhere, state officials said in interviews.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provisional Reimbursement and Allowability of Cost...
- NNSA Awards Nevada National Security Site contrac...
- OIG report on LANCE radiation contamination
- So much for 'saving money'
- Whisleblower news
- Motivational speaker at LANL
- LANL plutonium project called a house of cards
- LANL cannot keep up
- LANL didn't follow the rules
- More evidence of how great NNSA runs the program.
- More LANL lawsuits to be defended
- Saatchi & Saatchi Executive Kevin Roberts Resigns ...
- Any updates on the alleged federal fraud investiga...
- "Stormin" Norm Pattiz
- More on K. Roberts
- Saatchi executive chairman put on leave over gende...
- Air Force aiming for new nuke missiles
- ▼ August (17)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)