Another study that will lead to zero "positive" change at the labs... Btw, didn't Parney work at IDA?
Weapons Complex Monitor
April 4, 2012
White House Requests Study of National Lab Governance
The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy has tasked the Institute for Defense Analyses’ Science and Technology Policy Institute to study governance of the nation’s federal laboratories, and former Under Secretary of Energy for Science Steve Koonin will head up the review effort, NW&M Monitor has learned. The study is expected to examine whether the governance structures in place at the laboratories—including the government-owned, contractor operated model in place at Department of Energy/NNSA labs—is appropriate to meet national security challenges into the future. OSTP and Koonin did not respond to requests for comment, but Koonin is expected to hold invitation-only information-gathering sessions over the next month to aid in the review.
In a recent study of the NNSA’s nuclear weapons laboratories, the National Academy of Sciences called the agency’s relationship with its labs “dysfunctional” and “broken.” Koonin was notably outspoken about the state of the science at the NNSA’s weapons laboratories during the NAS study, suggesting that the switch to private management of the labs had taken its toll on science. “It’s been a challenge to maintain a vibrant scientific enterprise,” Koonin said at the time. “That’s not to say there isn’t some great stuff going on, but if you look at the totality of the effort, I don’t think it matches what we had decades ago in the basic research area.” Koonin left the Department in the fall for a post at IDA.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
- ► 2017 (186)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- Elaine Andrews' personal story
- House Panel Seeks Sweeping Changes to Make NNSA Mo...
- Excerpts from Parney's written text to the Senate ...
- Closing national Labs?
- Parney's opening and closing for the Senate Subcom...
- Nuclear weapon reductions must be part of strategi...
- Are Employees at Los Alamos National Laboratory Su...
- White House Commissions Study of Laboratory Govern...
- LANL Director Makes $1M
- Los Alamos slashes 11% of workforce as cuts bite
- Bechtel and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory...
- LLNS and the Nuclear Weapons Complex Performance E...
- Fine Print: A Disconnect in Evaluating the Nuclear...
- LANS Performance on Plutonium Project Criticized
- New LANL BLOG
- UC pays 400K salary to Mara!
- Here are the performance reports
- White House Requests Study of National Lab Governa...
- More FAQs for LLNS Defined Benefit Plan
- No Technical Reason to Avoid a Test Ban, NRC Panel...
- ▼ April (20)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)