This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Friday, August 3, 2012
B61-12 bomb the most expensive ever?
Anonymously contributed: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Escalating cost estimates for the B61 Life- Extension Program threaten to make the new B61-12 bomb the most expensive ever. . By Hans M. Kristensen The disclosure during yesterday’s Senate Appropriations Subcommittee hearing that the cost of the B61 Life Extension Program (LEP) is significantly greater that even the most recent cost overruns calls into question the ability of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) to manage the program and should call into question the B61 LEP itself. If these cost overruns were in the private sector, heads would roll and the program would probably be canceled. At the hearing yesterday, Senator Dianne Feinstein revealed that NNSA recently told her that the $4 billion cost estimate they provided in the FY2011 Stockpile Stewardship Management Plan was too low and that they would need $4 billion more to complete the program. Two months ago I reported that the cost had increased to $6 billion. NNSA’s new cost estimate is already being challenged, this time by the Pentagon’s Cost Assessment and Program Evaluation (CAPE) office, which only a few days ago increased the estimate by another $2 billion to a whopping $10 billion. http://www.fas.org/blog/ssp/2012/07/b61-12gold.php
Posted by scooby at 8:59 PM
- ► 2017 (337)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- Another radiation leak at LANL
- NIF, the Spruce Goose
- ELLEN O. TAUSCHER NAMED TO LAWRENCE LIVERMORE, LOS...
- Ed Moses is resigning as of Oct 1st!
- Officers at Y-12 responded correctly
- DOD Agreement Sheds Light on NNSA Problems
- NIF's woes
- Can the leaders help?
- Is UC dropping out?
- Kaiser is a hero!
- B&W Y-12 slapped with 'show cause notice'
- POGO versus Chu
- Donald J. Kintzer named to the Lawrence Livermore ...
- They hate EVERYONE equally, (except maybe for thei...
- Lab Retirees Form New Group!
- Sandia National Laboratories and Kansas City Plant...
- Save NIF !
- Huge security shake-up at Y-12
- Setting the record straight...
- First and last comment!
- Making up LLNL shortfalls on the employees backs. ...
- Pentagon Official Casts Doubt On Possible Move Of ...
- B61-12 bomb the most expensive ever?
- Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters brea...
- LLNL loses 2 key leaders
- de la Rubia gone!
- NNSA budget not credible
- ▼ August (27)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)