National Ignition Facility faces an uncertain future
its budget declines, Lawrence Livermore’s $3.5 billion laser fusion
facility is refocusing on experiments in support of nuclear weapons
Citation: Phys. Today 66(6), 20 (2013); doi: 10.1063/PT.3.2006
View online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/PT.3.2006
View Table of Contents: http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/PHTOAD/v66/i6
Published by the American Institute of Physics.
need to have a subscription to the journal to access this. But you can
read about some of the "planetary science" experiments that are under
threat of getting the axe.
A brief snipet:
addition to its ignition eﬀorts, NIF contributes to the scientiﬁc
underpinnings, largely through equation-of-state experiments, of nuclear
Be prepared to see topics about SNM EoS shots on
NIF brought up again. You have to ask yourself how you support these
experiments when you can't even do "simple" materials and fluids.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Sunday, June 2, 2013
- ► 2017 (321)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- Safety in natural disasters
- Taking another shot at cutting nukes
- FY14 NNSA Budget: Scarce Resources Devoted to Nucl...
- To Senior Management:
- LLNL Director's update
- Reimagining the National Laboratories
- NNSA Outlines Price Tag Of '3+2' Vision For Future...
- Unemployement benefits for SSVPers
- Cuts to nuclear weapons:
- Mixed Outlook for DOE
- Former Top DOE Intelligence Official to Serve as ‘...
- Lab Employees Opt for Early Retirement
- Davis-Bacon Act problem
- Which Davis?
- Lots of explaining
- NNSA Head computer account hacked!
- Pentagon Could Be Best Place For NNSA Autonomy
- LANL subject to another IG report
- Saving the ozone layer
- Status on furloughs?
- Layoffs Then and Now
- What a waste!
- Lab directors at ORNL
- On another subject: grade retention
- National Ignition Facility faces an uncertain futu...
- Another look at overblown NNSA budgets
- Who is next?
- ▼ June (28)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)