Nuclear Security Official Hints at Leaner, Less Costly Weapons Complex
By Walter Pincus
Tuesday, March 24, 2009; A11
The best status report on the U.S. nuclear weapons program and its future was delivered last Tuesday at a session of the House Appropriations subcommittee on energy and water development, where the head of the program declared, "We must stop pouring money into an old, Cold War complex that is too big and too expensive."
The speaker was Thomas P. D'Agostino, who heads the National Nuclear Security Administration, which runs the nuclear weapons complex and is a carryover from the Bush administration. As he had done before, D'Agostino pressed Congress to fund "urgent" change, while acknowledging that President Obama will favor a reduction in the nuclear weapons stockpile.
For example, he noted that over the past two years, the projection of the number of new plutonium triggers that will be needed to keep the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile reliable and secure has steadily dropped from 450 a year to 20.
The Rest of the Story
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2017 (337)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- Face the truth
- World's largest laser now ready for use
- Since the LLNS take over of LLNL, what has been th...
- GM, When will bloated management be reduced?
- Tauscher Signals Leftward Shift on Arms Control
- Nuclear Security Official Hints at Leaner, Less Co...
- NIF Rumors
- Old nova target bay area is being retro-fitted for...
- So, did everyone have fun at the practice earthqua...
- Star Wars becomes Bug Zapper.
- Hearing on Nuclear Weapons Complex
- Who is next?
- Has the last big layoff made the Lab better and yo...
- What Happened at JASPER??
- World's largest laser gears up for ignition experi...
- Nuclear-Warhead Upgrade Delayed
- As predicted, the true cost of layoffs becoming ap...
- Cherry A. Murray named dean at Harvard University
- So whom is coming to first NIF this weekend?
- Did you know EM's new landscaping project by the c...
- Fond memories at LLNL
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2008 (374)