Scientists have been working to achieve self-sustaining nuclear fusion and energy gain in the laboratory for more than half a century. When the National Ignition Facility (NIF) is completed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in 2009, that long-sought goal will be much closer to realization.
NIF's 192 giant lasers, housed in a ten-story building the size of three football fields, will deliver at least 60 times more energy than any previous laser system. When all of its beams are operational, NIF will focus about two million joules of ultraviolet laser energy on a tiny target in the center of its target chamber – creating conditions similar to those that exist only in the cores of stars and giant planets and inside a nuclear weapon. The resulting fusion reaction will release many times more energy than the laser energy required to initiate the reaction. Experiments conducted on NIF will make significant contributions to national and global security, could lead to practical fusion energy, and will help the nation maintain its leadership in basic science and technology. The project is a national collaboration among government, industry and academia and many industrial partners throughout the nation.
Programs in the NIF & Photon Science Directorate draw extensively on expertise from across LLNL, including the Physical Sciences, Engineering, Computation and Chemistry, Materials, Earth, and Life Sciences directorates. This goal is a scientific Grand Challenge that only a national laboratory such as Lawrence Livermore can accomplish.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
- ► 2017 (188)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- I Love Bechtel (NOT!)
- The race is over, go home.
- 65% subsidy for COBRA does not apply to me
- So, Obama's coming to visit, we are all taking a 5...
- If in doubt about privatization, read this...
- So, Are you happy about paying your neighbors mort...
- What happened in HR?
- Miller to host quarterly all-hands meeting
- A Message from George Miller to LLNL Employees
- NNSA awards IBM contract to build next generation ...
- The National Ignition Facility: Ushering in a New ...
- Nuclear work in danger
- The merits of privatization!
- Listen GM and SL!!!
- Heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend...
- New laptop computer brouhaha/scandal at LANL.........
- Is NIF an asset or a liability?
- COBRA STICKER SHOCK
- Military Control of Labs Studied By John Fleck, A...
- 100 Former Lawrence Livermore Lab Employees File C...
- IBM Building Next Generation of BlueGene Supercomp...
- Did the last layoff help the lab's mission?
- ▼ February (22)
- ► 2008 (374)