This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, February 2, 2015
Livermore Lab Case Continued To Allow Time For Mediation
OAKLAND, CALIF., JAN. 29, 2015 — /PRNewswire/ -- Gwilliam, Ivary, Chiosso, Cavalli & Brewer release the following: Judge Robert B. Freedman of the Alameda County Superior Court has continued the May 2015 trial in Andrews, et al. v. Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC, Case No. RG09453596, to allow the parties time to mediate this case that has been in litigation since May of 2009.
The 130 plaintiffs, represented by the law firm of Gwilliam, Ivary, Chiosso, Cavalli & Brewer filed suit against Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (LLNS) for wrongful termination, breach of contract, age discrimination and other individual claims as a result of being laid off by LLNS in May 2008, shortly after the Lab's privatization. LLNS, a private company led by Bechtel Corporation and the University of California, was awarded the contract to run the National Security Laboratory in 2007. Prior to 2007, the Lab had been operated exclusively by the University of California, and had not had a mass layoff since the 1970's. On May 22 and May 23, 2008, LLNS laid off over 400 career employees. The layoff occurred shortly after LLNS took control of the Lab. The Plaintiffs contend that the layoff was done in order to save money for this contractor.
In an order issued on January 20, 2015, Judge Freedman confirmed the parties' agreement to mediate the case before a private mediator. There have two long trials already in this litigation. In 2013, an Alameda County jury awarded the first 5 plaintiffs damages of more than $3 million (including interest). Ten more plaintiffs were scheduled to go to trial in May of 2015. That trial was continued by Judge Freedman to October 2015, pending the results of the upcoming mediation. The mediation is scheduled for April 2015.
- ► 2017 (291)
- ► 2016 (295)
- Battelle intrigued by NNSA possibilties
- How can the DOE "whistleblower" Contractor Employe...
- LANL waste records demanded by state
- Is Charlie going to be held accountable?
- LANL is still bungling security
- Nuclear Lab Whistleblower Case Moves Forward
- Amid Safety Concerns at LANL, Udall Weighs in on L...
- Will the labs really improve when LANS and LLNS ar...
- DOE: Cleanup Fund Will Pay WIPP fines
- Marketability of LLNL workers.
- New fines coming to LANS from security failures?
- Good riddance
- Where does LANS Management go from here on the WIP...
- Employee morale at both LLNL and LANL
- What is the Lab's mission in one sentence?
- Whistle-blower fired from Hanford nuclear site
- Report: Nuke lab failed to keep some information c...
- Sandia funding reduced, Los Alamos funding increas...
- Do we have a "Six Sigma" safety culture with LANS ...
- Security issues, as usual
- Happy Birthday!
- Alcohol on site?
- DOE makes GAO highest risk list for 25 consecutive...
- That's our story!
- The Wrong Move: Adding Nuclear Weapons to the Russ...
- Time to get deadly serious about nukes
- The fight is between NMED and DOE regarding violat...
- McMIllan's strategy
- Next round of LANL fines coming soon
- Do you want a 20% INCOMPETENCY DISCOUNT from Anthe...
- Hewitt Finally Gets the Boot
- Sandia describes strained relationship with NNSA
- Nuclear Official Allowed to Oversee Former Client
- Rumblings about a possible RIF at LANL due to havi...
- LANL workers get radiation contamination
- Sandia criticized by NNSA:
- Working Less at LLNS
- Livermore Lab Case Continued To Allow Time For Med...
- The broken NNSA laboratories
- ▼ February (42)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)