Here a link to an article by frank Munger: UPF review cites ‘chilled work environment,’ other causes for design failure; Y-12′s M&O contractor criticized: http://knoxblogs.com/atomiccity/2013/09/15/upf-review-cites-chilled-work-environment-causes-design-failure-y-12s-mo-contractor-criticized/ In it are jewels like these: – A coercive management style was encouraged by “the M&O contractor, UPF Project, and M&O Contractor corporate managers (at Babcock & Wilcox and Bechtel), and was tolerated by the National Nuclear Security Administration’s field office and Department of Energy headquarters. Among the contributing factors cited: “A ‘chilled work environment’ resulted in limited communications, hesitation to bring problems forward, organizational mistrust, and stifled innovation and problem solving.” The management directive to freeze the footprint early in the design process set the stage for project behavior, the report said. “The M&O contractor’s senior management staff was critical of recommendations from the project team that were inconsistent with their views . . . As an example, individual Engineering and Design staff personnel were chastised by senior management when they identified space/fit issues, and were told to ‘prove that you need more space.’ “ – NNSA and B&W Y-12 leadership failed to comprehend the complexity of the project or failed to implement the appropriate actions, such as project-specific policies and Procedures.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
A chilled work environment
Posted by scooby at 8:07 PM
- ► 2017 (186)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- No. 2 US nuclear commander suspended
- Freezing pensions
- Coming soon to a laboratory near you!
- B-61 still in the news
- NNSA Requests Another $55.9M For LANL, LLNL Retire...
- Privatizing National Lab Management Misguided
- Watchdog Finds Flaws in DOE Contractor Responsibil...
- Calling all bloggers!
- UC Regents Visit Lawrence Livermore
- Klotz Pledges to Focus on Security and Safety
- top priority for NNSA,
- Another story on NNSA cost and quality control
- More on the B-61 budge
- GAO responds on future Pu needs
- So when can we expect the last phase of SSVSP?
- A chilled work environment
- Health care at LLN
- TO: LANL-ALLFrom/MS: Charles F. McMillan, A100Phon...
- Why is Akima around still?
- How is the sequester affecting science in America?...
- Science and engineering quality at national securi...
- Fixing Fukushima's Water Problem:
- LLNL Unveiled
- NNSA HQ reorg.
- PA. input due soon
- To extend or not to extend
- Bomb work delayed
- A different interpretation
- Numbers please!
- ▼ September (30)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)