This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Friday, June 30, 2017
Another Fire at LANL but Not a Fire Just Flames
On Wednesday, May 31, two post-doctoral researchers at the TA-48 Radiochemistry facility observed flames from the depleted uranium metal turnings that they were cleaning with nitric acid in a fume hood. The researchers choose not to fight the fire, closed the hood sash, pulled the fire alarm, and contacted 911. The Los Alamos County Fire Department, LANL emergency management, and the LANL hazardous materials team responded. No radioactive contamination, injuries, or damage beyond the containment tray in the fume hood occurred. Facility, program, and emergency response personnel held a fact-finding on Thursday to discuss the response. Of relevance to the broader emergency management program at the laboratory, several individuals indicated that they did not receive a mass notification message to stay clear of TA-48 because the notification is based on office location and some TA-48 users have their offices in other locations. No corrective action was assigned for this point. Facility personnel discussed challenges using their accountability process during the lunch hour and proposed to review the process and conduct a future accountability drill. Management also concluded that the fire did not meet Department of Energy reporting criteria for a fire and instead reported the event as a management concern.
- Contractors change, accidents keep happening
- Another Fire at LANL but Not a Fire Just Flames
- Employee opinion
- More on how Moniz viewed the safety culture at LAN...
- APS summary of some of the recent LANL screwups an...
- Improper LANL shipment involved Plutonium
- And so it begins.
- Rumor has it...
- Blog appearance
- Anthem to stop selling Obamacare plans in Wisconsi...
- U.S. regulators to investigate after Los Alamos la...
- The Labor Department loosens a rule on beryllium e...
- LLNL & LANL pensions
- LANL safety record topic of senate hearing for Per...
- The good, the bad and the uglyyy!
- University of California Favoring Illegal Immigran...
- McMillan known to Secretary Moniz for his hubris
- LANL inability to address safety issues
- Nuclear lab shutdown endangers US arsenal
- llnlthetruestory welcomes Evil Echo
- LANL and waste containers
- Is it true?
- Bad Etiquette
- What some people think of blog
- Leakers inside NSA, is the background check proces...
- Less LEP work for LLNL
- How long will the LANL transition be delayed by th...
- Only a matter of time before something major happe...
- "Charliecloud" has arrived!!
- LANS cares?
- NEVADA under protest
- Opinions on blog monetizing
- ▼ June (32)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)