Sunday June 18, 2017 07:32 PM - Associated Press
An extended shutdown of the nation's only scientific laboratory for producing and testing the plutonium cores for its nuclear weapons has taken a toll on America's arsenal, with key work postponed and delays looming in the production of components for new nuclear warheads, according to government documents and officials.
The unique research and production facility is located at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) in New Mexico, the birthplace of the U.S. atomic arsenal. The lab's director ordered the shutdown in 2013 after the Washington, D.C., official in charge of America's warhead production expressed worries that the facility was ill-equipped to prevent an accident that would kill its workers and potentially others nearby.
Parts of the facility began renewed operations last year, but with only partial success. And workers there last year were still violating safety rules for handling plutonium, the unstable man-made metal that serves as the sparkplug of the thermonuclear explosions that American bombs are designed to create.
...Kevin Roark, the spokesman for the consortium of firms hired by the government to run the lab, said in an email that he would defer to the NNSA's response. Charles McMillan, the Los Alamos lab's director since 2011, who receives government-funded compensation exceeding $1 million a year, declined to be interviewed about its safety records or the national security consequences of the shutdown. But he said in a 2015 promotional video that "the only way" the lab can accomplish its vital national security mission "is by doing it safely."...
Over $1 million in compensation per year and Charlie "GQ" McMillan won't do interviews?
What's he being paid for? To stand around and look pretty?
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthem to stop selling Obamacare plans in Wisconsi...
- U.S. regulators to investigate after Los Alamos la...
- The Labor Department loosens a rule on beryllium e...
- LLNL & LANL pensions
- LANL safety record topic of senate hearing for Per...
- The good, the bad and the uglyyy!
- University of California Favoring Illegal Immigran...
- McMillan known to Secretary Moniz for his hubris
- LANL inability to address safety issues
- Nuclear lab shutdown endangers US arsenal
- llnlthetruestory welcomes Evil Echo
- LANL and waste containers
- Is it true?
- Bad Etiquette
- What some people think of blog
- Leakers inside NSA, is the background check proces...
- Less LEP work for LLNL
- How long will the LANL transition be delayed by th...
- Only a matter of time before something major happe...
- "Charliecloud" has arrived!!
- LANS cares?
- NEVADA under protest
- Opinions on blog monetizing
- ▼ June (23)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)