Klotz Against DOE Name Change, but Mum on Other Recommendations for NNSA
Weapons Complex Monitor - March 5, 2015
National Nuclear Security Administration chief Frank Klotz told House appropriators yesterday that he was not in favor of changing the name of the Department of Energy as a Congressional advisory panel recommended last year, but Klotz declined to say how whether he supports one of the more extreme recommendations of the panel: moving the semi- autonomous NNSA back under DOE. “I think the Department of Energy sounds just fine,” Klotz told Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), the ranking member of House Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee, at a subcommittee hearing yesterday. After the hearing, he added: “I think the Department of Energy captures regardless of what the governance structure is, captures the full range of what the Department does. It’s short, it’s succinct, it’s direct. Everyone understands it. Moreover it’s timeless.”
The Congressional Advisory Panel on the Governance of the Nuclear Security Enterprise, which was chaired by former Lockheed Martin CEO Norm Augustine and former Strategic Command chief Richard Mies, called on DOE to be renamed the Department of Energy and Nuclear Security as part of recommendations to strengthen the NNSA. It also called for NNSA to be renamed the Office of Nuclear Security and for the agency to be reabsorbed by DOE. Klotz said the NNSA planned to weigh in formally on the panel’s recommendations March 17 in a report to Congress. He emphasized, however, that DOE had already begun implementing many of the panel’s recommendations. “Many of the recommendations called for things which under [Energy] Secretary [Ernest] Moniz’s leadership we’re already implementing in terms of increasing the discipline, and the rigor, of our approach to program and project management,” Klotz told NS&D Monitor after the hearing.
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
- ► 2017 (233)
- ► 2016 (295)
- Why can't LANL keep it together at the top?
- Salary facts
- Credentials of the Director for S&T.
- Bye Bye Harry!
- Will there be a raise at LANL?
- Bonus at LLNL!
- It's official: WIPP debacle 100% due to LANL
- Need the real story behind UC and LLNS retiree hea...
- Safety culture overreaches
- What is the reputation of each LLNS corporate memb...
- Another study about how to fix the DoE labs
- So that's where all the overhead is going.....
- Another LANL project over budget and behind schedu...
- Aon Hewitt news?
- Does LLNS Staff Relations and LLNS Senior Manageme...
- Ellen Pao lawsuit is going to have an impact on LL...
- Conner and Henderson get the shove from LLNL
- Will the LLC protect UC against environmental fine...
- Edward Snowden documents and note about Sandia hac...
- Another Electrical Near Fatality at LANL Involving...
- White House official selected as LLNL Deputy Direc...
- Layoff notices?
- UC Hires Fresh Counsel To Combat Retiree Lawsuit
- LLNS Board of Governors. So is it really worth $40...
- WIPP Resolution To Go To Governor
- 'Jeopardy' puts Lab's science in the spotlight
- Klotz Against DOE Name Change
- One year and counting............
- Watchdogs Urge Big Cut to Contractor Fees at the S...
- UC/LLNL Staff Relations "Non-Disclosure Agreements...
- Nearly fatal accident at LANL
- echtel-Affiliated Projects Recognized for Highest ...
- The fiscal threat to nuclear strategy
- Hiring frenzy?
- Value Added of SPSE-UPTE
- Human Role at WIPP was being Minimized
- Justice for All Requires A Contract for All By SPS...
- SPSE-UPTE's New Skilled Trades Contract Promotes R...
- ▼ March (38)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)