This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Comments not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email email@example.com
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
US NUCLEAR FORCE FACES A CASCADE OF MISSTEPS
US NUCLEAR FORCE FACES A CASCADE OF MISSTEPS BY ROBERT BURNS AP NATIONAL SECURITY WRITER WASHINGTON (AP) -- First it was bad attitudes among young officers in nuclear missile launch centers. Now it's alleged bad behavior by two of the nuclear arsenal's top commanders. Together the missteps spell trouble for a nuclear force doubted by some for its relevance, defended by others as vital to national security and now compelled to explain how the firing of key commanders this week should not shake public confidence. The Air Force on Friday fired Maj. Gen. Michael Carey, who was in charge of its nuclear missiles. Two days earlier the Navy sacked Vice Adm. Tim Giardina, the second-in-command at U.S. Strategic Command, which writes the military's nuclear war plans and would transmit launch orders should the nation ever go to nuclear war. In an Associated Press interview Friday, the nation's most senior nuclear commander, Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler, said he told his bosses, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and the Joint Chiefs chairman, Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, that despite the two "unfortunate behavioral incidents," the nuclear force is stable. "I still have 100 percent confidence that the nation's nuclear deterrent force is safe, secure and effective," Kehler said from his Strategic Command headquarters in Nebraska. Together, the Carey and Giardina dismissals add a new dimension to a set of serious problems facing the military's nuclear force. The decision to sack Carey was made by Lt. Gen. James Kowalski, commander of Air Force Global Strike Command, which is in charge of all Air Force nuclear weapons, including bombers. The case appears to be unrelated to that of Giardina, but the two men are associated in the chain of responsibility for U.S. nuclear weapons. Carey did not report directly to Giardina, but the ICBMs under Carey's command would, in the event of war, receive their launch commands through Strategic Command, where Giardina had been the deputy commander since December 2011. By coincidence, Kowalski, who fired Carey, has been nominated to succeed Giardina at Strategic Command. The Senate has not yet confirmed Kowalski. http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NUCLEAR_MISSTEPS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Posted by scooby at 9:48 AM
- ► 2017 (337)
- ► 2016 (295)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- DOD doesn't need LLNL's B-83...
- What is the word?
- Moscow Conducts Large-Scale Nuclear Attack Drill -...
- What happened to the old PAD?
- o this is a bit premature but Detroit is talking a...
- LANL security fixes
- LANL: 6,866 employees, 1,115 vehicles
- Defense Department Successfully Conducts Warhead S...
- NNSA to DOE?
- WHere is th eletter from Pattiz?
- ARE FLEX TERMS BEING ASKED TO LEAVE THE LAB?
- Should this BLOG do away with anonymous comments?
- Los Alamos view on Livermore
- AAAS workshop
- B-61 budget
- Morale at LLNL
- Penrose resigns
- LLNL Employees Need To Strike
- LANL rejoices!
- History repeats itself
- A bad few months for the nuclear forces
- Pincus on prolonged sequester impact to NNSA
- Fact or Fiction
- Tom D moves to Fluor
- DoE wins the Golden Hammer Award
- not so old
- old news but funny
- How did you spend your day?
- Concerned scientists
- Sad news?
- What a waste!
- Why is LANL closing?
- Security manager sues LANL
- US NUCLEAR FORCE FACES A CASCADE OF MISSTEPS
- How is going the shutdown going to affect you?
- Dont know how
- Please Wake up!
- LLNL faces closure
- Another US nuclear commander sacked
- Lujan votes against funding NNSA
- Ash Carter resigning at Defense.
- NNSA funding
- Message from the LLNL Director
- Time to send stories to KCRA
- Why is Livermore different?
- Strategic Command deputy demoted
- Charlie! Where are you?
- Sandia cannot use vacation days during shutdown
- DOE furlough song
- LANL plutonium work
- NIF breakthrough!
- Cavuto on the president
- LLNL may shutdown on Friday
- Bureaucratic ineptitude entrenched at LANL
- How long?
- The latest in a series of security problems at LLN...
- NIF rumors
- SIte offices exceptions
- Where is the report?
- NNSA site office
- Another project over budget and behind schedule
- Charlie McMillan Plays Dead in Arsenic and Old Lac...
- Parney and Ed
- AKIMA layoffs
- Is the oct 1st 2012 rumor still a rumor?
- Where is Ed?
- ▼ October (69)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)