WIPP looks to open
The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant has been closed since February 2014 when a radiation release contaminated a significant portion of the repository, where disposal rooms are carved out of a thick salt formation deep underground.
The shutdown put shipments from around the country on indefinite hold as the federal government poured hundreds of millions of dollars into recovery efforts and policy overhauls.
New Mexico regulators cited the government and the contractor for numerous permit violations related to the radiation release and an unrelated fire involving a mining truck weeks earlier. That resulted in a multimillion-dollar settlement with the state.
Los Alamos National Laboratory, in northern New Mexico, also was cited because the breached container of waste from 2014 had been inappropriately packed there before being shipped to the repository.
Investigators said the incident could have been avoided had managers not ignored existing policies and procedures for handling and treating the waste, which includes gloves, tools, clothing and other materials from decades of bomb-making and research.
Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-12-restart-nuke-dump-years-leak.html#jCp
This BLOG is for LLNL present and past employees, friends of LLNL and anyone impacted by the privatization of the Lab to express their opinions and expose the waste, wrongdoing and any kind of injustice against employees and taxpayers by LLNS/DOE/NNSA. The opinions stated are personal opinions. Therefore, The BLOG author may or may not agree with them before making the decision to post them. Opinions not conforming to BLOG rules are deleted. Blog author serves as a moderator. For new topics or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ► 2017 (104)
- Happy new year labbies!
- All eyes will be on the new manager of Sandia Labs...
- WIPP to open
- Starting to look like Leidos has won
- New nuclear arms race
- Ex-Lawrence Livermore Lab scientist sentenced to p...
- Nuclear pledge
- Word "Limited " removed
- Nuclear weapons settlements
- Still NOT prepared to win.
- Job opening
- Opinion on Obama
- When is the announcement?
- Top scientist fired
- Former LANL manager sues lab for wrongful terminat...
- Swalwell protests transition questions to energy l...
- New SNL leaders names
- Climate change
- NOT prepared to win!
- LANL needs university
- SNL leadership team
- Universities out
- Lockheed Out at Sandia
- Sandia gets NTESS
- What it’s like to work at the US Department of Ene...
- Trump and Lab contract change
- Is the current administration setting DOE up for f...
- DOE refuses Presidential transition request
- American Physical Society decides it is appropriat...
- Donald Trump chooses Rick Perry to be energy secre...
- President-elect has plans to cut regulation, boost...
- To Russia with Love....
- NNSA in last 8 years
- Trump's 74 questions sent to DOE:
- $325.5 million needed by WIPP in FY17
- Trump transition team seeks details on Energy Dept...
- Transition Team Questions Energy Employees
- Done deal
- NNSA Labs scores
- 401k performance since Nov 8th
- Ray Washburne is top candidate for energy secretar...
- Protect illegal students
- Leaked audio reveals additional lewd comments from...
- ▼ December (47)
- ► 2015 (330)
- ► 2014 (309)
- ► 2013 (431)
- ► 2012 (258)
- ► 2011 (162)
- ► 2010 (157)
- ► 2009 (231)
- ► 2008 (374)